Thursday, January 26, 2006

Micro-morals v. Macro-morals

In the recent Canadian election we witnessed again the battle of the macro-morals of the Liberals vs. micro-morals of the Conservatives, and once again Christians were co-opted by one side or the other. What do I mean by this? Let me explain.

At a ministerial meeting of evangelical pastors I attended before the election the consensus was clear--we're going to encourage our congregants to vote for the Conservatives because they're the best chance we have of stopping abortion and gay marriage. Other parties were not given a second thought because of their stand on these micro-moral issues. I call them "micro" not because they're unimportant, but because they primarily affect a small number of individuals (parent and child, partner and partner) rather than society as a whole.

At another ministerial meeting soon after the gay-marriage legislation was introduced we were discussing the issue in the presence of a clergy from a liberal denomination. His church takes a strong stand on macro-moral issues such as helping the poor, equal rights, and environmental protection; issues the Liberals champion. They give their ministers the option to perform gay-marriages, and he vigoursly supported this practice on the basis of equal rights.

Unfortionately the focus of evangelicals and liberals on their favorite moral issues has made them blind to Biblical morality. When God says, "You shall not murder," it means both unborn babies and innocent babies in Iraq; His condemnation of exploitation is no less valid than his condemnation of homosexuality. And if we fight to protect the God given institution of family we should be just as willing to fight to protect the environment of this planet He gave us, too.

And finally, we must realize that the allignment of the Christian left and right with the political left and right is simply leading towards the religious persecution prophecied in Revelation 13. Because when the state and the church merge persecution is necessary outcome and part of a system symbolized by ancient Babylon. Therefore I believe that the real issue for Christian voters is freedom of religion, because a coerced decision for Christ is no decision at all.

5 comments:

  1. Therefore I believe that the real issue for Christian voters is freedom of religion

    You got me thinking, man (again!). The first thing it comes to my mind is: do I vote for those who brake the institution of marriage but support 100% religious freedom? Or do I vote for those who defend Christian values but are dangerously mixing religion and state?

    Fortunately I couldn't vote this time because I'm a Landed Immigrant. But for the next election, when I have the citizenship, I'll give it a lot of thougth and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't agree with the government's decision to redefine marriage, and I also don't agree with the church alignining itself with a political party to protect marriage. The church needs legislation to protect marriage, we are doing a poor job of it ourselves. (In the US, divorce rates among fundamentalist Christians are higher than in the average population.)

    Ultimately, for the Christian, I believe religious liberty trumps all other concerns, since people cannot make a genuine decision for Christ when they are cooerced.

    But,even though I'm not a Canadian, in the last election, I would have voted Conservative, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the state and the church merge persecution is necessary outcome and part of a system symbolized by ancient Babylon. Therefore I believe that the real issue for Christian voters is freedom of religion, because a coerced decision for Christ is no decision at all.

    Amen. I also the point you made in your repsonds to josue, that " religious liberty trumps all other concerns."

    Now, what would I really like to see? Of course I would like to see a government that truly (and when I say truly, I mean sincerely and honestly following the word of God), and chooses laws that are morally upright.
    BUT: The only government that will ever fall into that category is that One Government the will rule the universe once the Great Controversy is finally terminated, and everyone acknowledges the wisdom and love and justice that belongs to Our Lord. On the earth, selfish agendas and the mixture of truth and lies will taint every government. As this is the case, a government that legislates morality, but at a net loss of religious freedom is to be avoided.

    It is rather unfortunate that we have to choose between the (as you termed them) micro- and macro- issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, it is ironic that so many Evangelicals in the USA supported Bush's war in Iraq only to have, as a result of it, an Iraqi constitution which limits religious liberty and makes conversion from Islam illegal. To put it bluntly, this new constitution, celebrated by the Bush administration and many powerful Evangelicals, means the end of real personal religious freedom in Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that we are jumping between American and Canadian issues...being that I do not know any canadian issues at all (forgive my american bias) I will speak to american issues...

    Simply put it is rediculous for the American right to paint itself as the Christian party becuase of its stand against abortion and gay marriage. The same party supports going into Iraq under completely false pretenses. The same party supports removal of rights of citizens becuase of fear of terrorists.

    If we agree that evil is in both sides, and I do find abortion as very problematic, however the American Right has definitley shown itself not to be christian.

    ReplyDelete