Friday, September 30, 2005

Top Five Fantasy Fiction

I just picked up the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, (soon to be a "major motion picture") for the first time in 10 years. I loved these books then and wanted to see if I enjoyed them as much now. After three engrossing chapters of The Horse and His Boy I can say they're still terrific.

Since The Chronicles were the first books that introduced me to the idea of fantasy fiction as metaphor for the Christian experience ('Hey, Aslan is kind of like Jesus...'), here's some top five lists of my favorite fantasy fiction. I'm going to include science fiction in this category, since most of it (except 'hard SF') is based on fantasy.

Top Five Fantasy Novels:
  1. The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis
  2. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
  3. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
  4. The Naked God by Peter Hamilton
  5. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
Top Five Fantasy Movies:
  1. Star Wars Episode IV
  2. The Matrix
  3. The Fifth Element
  4. Total Recall
  5. Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment