Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Seventh-day Adventists Believe

For 17 years the book, Seventh-day Adventists Believe...A Biblical Exposition of 27 Fundamental Doctrines, has been the standard resource for those seeking to understand the Biblical basis Adventist theology. But with the adoption of a new Fundamental Belief at the General Conference session this summer, the old Adventists Believe was made obsolete, being short one belief. Two weeks ago the Adventist Ministerial Association announced the publication of the new Seventh-day Adventists Believe, a soft cover featuring an exposition of all 28 Adventist Fundamental Beliefs.

When I first read this news I wasn't too excited. It looked like a resource book I wanted, but not something I was going to run out and buy. Then I read this:
This single volume shows in detail how each belief is grounded in the Bible and focused on Jesus Christ. The different beliefs, or doctrines, emphasize different facets of Christ'’s lovely character. Each one reveals more of what He is like and what a relationship with Him means. (Ministerial Assn.)
Now that's what I'm talking about! My personal ideal is that each doctrine I believe will enhance my experience of Jesus, and if it doesn't, there's something wrong. But often rational analysis of theology has taken me far from that ideal of balancing the extremes of intellect and emotion. And I find that most religious books excel in either one category or the other but rarely form a union of the two.

"Grounded in the Bible and focused on Jesus Christ"--Yes, that's where we need to be. This doctrinal starting point of the new Adventists Believe is one that the church desperately needs. I only hope the contributors and editors pulled it off.
I'll post a review once I've finished the book (my copy's in the mail) and seen if it lives up to my expectations.

You can order the book from your local Adventist Book Center or online at the Ministeral Association website.

No comments:

Post a Comment