Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Starfield


In the world of contemporary Christian music there is very little Canadian representation. Australia has their Hillsong; the UK, Matt Redman; and the US, more Christian recording artists in Nashville than you can shake a stick at. So, sticking with the Canada Day theme, I'm writing about Starfield, a one-album band from Canada that just picked up a Dove Award nomination.

I was first introduced to Starfield by a friend in Red Deer. We were over for lunch after church, and he popped in the CD. I was skeptical at first, but ended up liking what I heard. Kind of a combination of college rock and U2 with awesome vocals. The two singers are brothers, and their blend is perfect.

Their lyrics more thought provoking than most Christian bands, so I had to open the cover and take the time to read them. Starfield's music also 'singable', which is something I look for. A lot of churches up here are using their songs for congregational worship.

They've only got one, self-titled album out so far, but there are rumors that another is on the way. If you download from iTunes, the songs I recommend are "Filled With Your Glory" and "Cry In My Heart". You can get their CD online and at most Christian book stores in Canada. I don't know how big they are in the US yet.

Starfield's music isn't your average Christian pop analogue. If you dig Christian music at all, check it out. I'm still kicking myself that I missed out on their concert because I was sick. Ah well, next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment